NOTE: R4i cards that are compatible with Nintendo DSi firmware 1.4.3 are NOW AVAILABLE! Make sure that when you purchase your R4i card, the vendor states they are v1.4.3 compatible. Buy 1.4.3 cards from www.r4ishopper.com
If you own an older R4i card that is not v1.4.3 compatible, it appears there will be no kernal update for these cards to make them compatible. Unfortunately the only solution is to purchase a new R4i v1.4.3 card.
The R4i is the latest R4 adapter specifically designed to be used in the latest Nintendo DSi game consoles.
What is an R4i adapter? Why should I get one?
R4 adapters have been around for quite some time now, they where created so that you could do more with the Nintendo DS game systems. The standard R4 cards are not compatible with the latest Nintendo DSi console and as such the NEW R4i DS card was born! This is fully compatible with the DSi console and nicely it is also backwards compatible with all the previous Nintendo DS consoles so you can sue the R4i with all of them.
The R4i Adapter allows you to perform tasks with your DS that you could never do before! This includes listen to music, watch videos, browse your piccies and also read e-books all from your Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi consoles! The adapter itself is the same size of a standard nintendo DAS game cartridge and fits into the same slot (Slot 1) as the game cartridges. The adapter has amicro SD memory card slot and its on the micro sd cards that you store all the files you want to use on your DS. This then goes into the adapter and that, in turn, into your DS console. Turn on the DS and away you go.
[Back to top
How does an R4i work?
The R4i DS card works by turning your DS into a multi media machine! The same size as a game cartridge the adapter behaves just like a proper game cartridge. But instead of playing games you can load the adapter with a Micro SD memory card filled with your favourite music, films, pictures and e-books! The R4i software (That you also need to load onto the memory card) allows you to access these files and play them on your DS & DSi.
[Back to top
What do I need to use an R4i?
Some people are confused about what you need to get the R4i card working. All you need is the following:
[Back to top
R4i Step by Step instructions
For people with little or no technical knowledge then setting up your R4i DS Card can be a little tricky and sometimes daunting. Fear not though we have all the information you need to set your DS adapter up. Just follow these easy to use step-by-step instructions and you will have it working in no time.
- STEP 1 - Buy your R4i Card & Memory
If you have not done so already you are going to need to buy your device before you can do anything at all. Obvious I know but if it is the case that you still don't actually have an R4i as yet then we can recommend that you buy one from www.r4ishopper.com. You can buy them elsewhere but we have heard good reports about this vendor and their cards all seem to be genuine. If you don't already have a micro sd card hanging around then make sure you buy one of their bundle deals that includes the card as part of the package. If you are unsure what size memory card to get then opt for the 4GB Micro SD bundle as that will leave you plenty of space without being overkill.
- STEP 2 - Check you have everything you need
Its now time to double check that you have everything you need to continue. The checklist is as follows:
- R4i Adapter
- USB Micro SD Card Reader (If your memory card is greater than 2GB then the reader needs to be SDHC compatible)
- A Micro SD Memory Card
- A PC running windows XP or Vista (With the latest updates installed)
- An active Internet connection
- STEP 3 - Download the R4i Software
Before you can use your R4i you first need to download the latest R4i software. The software is constantly being updated and is therefore not supplied on the R4i adapter itself. There may also be some sort of legal reason why the adapters are not supplied with the software out of the box. To save you some time we have the latest version of the R4i software for you to download
R4i Operating software (Kernel) (ZIP File)
Click the link and choose a location on your PC to save the file to. Remember where you decided to save the file. When the download is finished, find the file on your PC and then right click the file and choose "extract all...". Follow the prompts and choose the default options. When you are finished you should have a folder called R4i and inside that folder you will find the files that you will need in the next step.
- STEP 4 - Setting up your Micro SD Memory Card
- Find the Micro SD memory card and remove from its packaging if necessary
- Insert the Micro SD card into the USB Micro SD Card Reader
- Insert the Card Reader into a free USB port of your PC/MAC
- On a PC you should be prompted when you insert the card reader. Choose to open to view files/folders
- You should now have an empty file window (Unless you have already transferred some files to your micro SD card.)
- Now go back to your other window where you extracted the downloaded files to. Selected all the files and then press the right mouse button and choose COPY.
- Go back to the empty folder for your memory card and right click and choose PASTE
- When done your memory card should look like this:
- Thats it for now - you can add your files you want to use with the R4i card later on. Click onto your C: on the right panel and then right click on the memory card drive and choose to safely remove the device (If you just unplug the USB reader without doing this you can damage your memory card and lose your files!)
- Now remove the USB reader from your PC and remove the memory card from the reader. Try not to touch the metal connections.
- STEP 5 - Using your R4i for the first time
Now we can test out your R4i card using the memory card that we setup in step 4 above. If you followed exactly what I outlined in step 4 then you will not have any music, video or other files on the card as yet. That's fine because we only need to test that the card works and the menu appears on your Nintendo DS when used. Follow these steps to test out your R4i Adapter:
- Insert the Micro SD memory card into your R4i adapter
- Insert the adapter into your Nintendo DS game port (Slot 1)
- Turn on your Nintendo DS/Nintendo DSi
- Your DS should load and you should be able to select the R4 card just like you would if you where playing a standard Game.
- The R4i software should load and it should look something like this:
[Back to top
R4i Latest Software
To make the most of your R4i you need to make sure that you have the latest version of the R4i software. This is also known as the R4i Kernel or the R4i system files.
You can download the latest version of the R4i software here: R4i Operating software (Kernel) (ZIP File)
[Back to top
Where to Buy R4i?
There are many different places online where you can purchase the R4i revolution, we have contacted many of these vendors to to assess customer service, product knowledge, etc. Have a look at our where to buy R4i card page for more information.....
[Back to top
R4i FAQ (Frequently Asked questions)
We will put the answers to all your R4i related questions here. We will also post solutions to common R4i problems.
- What is the maximum micro sd capacity an R4i DS Card can accept?
The R4i Card is SDHC compatible and can therefore accept memory cards up to 32GB in size. However when using cards above 4GB try to organise your files into folders and sub folders. We have heard reports that folders with huge amounts of files can cause issues with R4 and R4i revolution cards
- Are the R4i DS cards compatible with the older Nintendo DS?
Yes they are, you can use the R4i DS Card with all of the Nintendo DS consoles. We recommend buying the R4i no matter what console you have because should you upgrade in the future you can still use your R4i card.
Please visit our Support forum for the latest help & support and also if you would like to ask us a question about these cards.